Friday, January 07, 2005

Balance - hold yourself back

The Sand Trap referred to balance as a key to shot consistent making. I believe I was able to achieve that today on the driving range by telling myself "hold yourself back" particularly on the downswing. At address I am putting more weight on my back foot, looking at the ball with my left eye (a Nicklaus trick) and then attempting to hold that weight back so that my hips don't sway. When I don't I have a terrible habit of sending the ball far right.

None of these things are to be exagerated mind you, they are guides and preshot thoughts. If I overdo it I send the ball left. It has been a good corrective move for me and I feel with enough practice I will be sending the ball down the middle of the fairway on a more regular basis.

1 Comments:

At 9:34 AM , Blogger Erik J. Barzeski said...

You want to let your body go forward (by rotating), but your head should stay back. Subtle but important difference. And since the wording on this can be interpreted so differently, you may in fact be doing that but the way you say it may make me think you're not (or vice versa).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home