Saturday, January 22, 2005

Still Head - Space Between Body and Hands

So I spent some time at the range yesterday and had what I feel is my best shotmaking day ever. A couple of things come to mind here:

1. I am leaving myself lots of room between my hands and body. This is allowing my lots of freedom to bring the club through and release my hands properly. I was all bunched up inside for the longest time and it made for some really bad results. I made the biggest progress of my short (6 month) golfing carreer with this simple change. All the difference in the world.

The result is that my shots are flying futher and their dispursion, while still unacceptable to me, is much tighter. Not a bad change, I'd say

2. Iacas alluded to this in one of his posts at The Sand Trap. You must allow your shoulder to bring your head up as you follow through on your swing. Keeping your head and spine reletively still (not stiff) is very important to good ball striking.

Even with a good day at the range, at times I felt myself dipping for the ball. Or collapsing my body. My shots when wide right when I did this. Staying upright is crucial.

All in all it was a victory for me. I proved that I can do it and that is important for my confidence. I teed up for the driver a couple of times and had a long string of acceptable drives under my belt before I was done. Now that is a victory. I'd like to make a goal of shooting in the low 90's by this coming summer. Is it possible? Yes. Will I do it? Have to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home