Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Golf Snobbery

Let me say, before I get to the article listed at sortagolf.com, that golf snobs should be slapped. Golf is a great game, a game for a working man, millionaires, men, women or a twelve year old kid. What it isn't for is golf snobs. So you play golf... so you might hit the ball well... great... in the words of sortagolf "Get over yourself."

I recently spent a little time in a golf shop north of Seattle (I won't mention their name) and got the distinct impression that the man working the counter felt he was part of the upper echelon of society because he had his prissy little golf outfit on. I'd like to say to this guy, along with all the other golf snobs out there: you put your pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us.

I should say that I was dressed well at this shop and didn't give the appearance of being the trailer trash my friends accuse me being (perhaps I should look for new friends but that's another subject). This guy just smelled of snobbery. The kind of attitude that says, "I can hit the ball 50 yards passed you, therefore, you are a twit."

I won't be buying anything from that shop.

The guys over at sortagolf got me riled up and I had to vent before I included their article on Golf Connoisseur.

3 Comments:

At 5:16 PM , Blogger Jeff said...

Don't worry MJ, you aren't missing anything. This is the kind of magazine that will pull a muscle patting itself on the back. I quote: "Our readers, like you, are intelligent, well travelled, love the game of golf, and have the passion, means, and motivation to seek out and enjoy the very best life has to offer.... Golf Connoisseur may not be for every golfer."

In laymans terms it reads like this: "We are better than you because we are loaded." I suppose they have every right to appeal to the upper crust... I just wish that they wouldn't portray themselves as asses in the process.

 
At 4:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, you are not helping your cause by saying "...I can hit the ball 50 yards passed you." The correct spelling is "past". Grammar is big in moving you up from the trailer trash caste.

Even if you were dressed "nice", guys like that can tell if you don't belong. Its a shame the world works that way but it does.

I love golf but hate golfers. They are either snobs or go on and on with lame excuses of why their game isn't great. Who cares, I didn't meet you until the starter forced us to play together. So just hit your shot and shut up!

 
At 10:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Golf is founded on institutionalised elitism.

From its origins as a pastime of the English landed gentry to today’s country clubs.

Snobbery is part & parcel of golf.

Why not take-up a real sport MJ where people treat others as equals, regardless of their incomes or social status?

http://golfisnotasport.webs.com/

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home